Sept 21st - Nov 30th, 2020
Welcome to the CYONY Club Track Program
The Registration Form is Open
2020 Registration Cap:
This year we’re capping fall/winter CYONY club registration at 25 families. We know that interest will go well beyond that number and hope to remove the cap by Spring 2021. We apologize in advance and will offer running alternatives once the cap is reached. A waiting list will be created for interested families.
Attendance, membership or enrollment in a church/school is NOT a requirement to join. We welcome the FIRST 25 registrants in grades 3-8. While we’ve grown considerably over the last 6 years, our focus remains the same. As such, there are still NO TRYOUTS. Yes, we are an experienced group of youth runners (many have run with the club since its inception). There is no screaming, anger or unreasonable demands (but Coach, that 2 mile hill, seriously). We believe in the kid from day 1.
We promote a SAFE running environment built on enthusiasm, self-belief, hard work, goal setting, determination, good sportsmanship, community awareness and friendship. There’s always a focus on mechanics, efficiency, nutrition, endurance/strength, speed and trail stewardship.
CYONY 9th Grade Alumni Participation:
9th graders that RAN with/for the CYONY club are welcome to join us as volunteers until your high school cross country season begins. See the volunteer section below for details.
TBD...we’re getting closer to finalizing plans. Per the NYC parks departments Van Cortlandt Park cannot not be used for meets (no permits issued). The same holds true for most parks/courses in Westchester. That may change but as of today, we’ll be competing at alternative locations. Nothing is guaranteed and the registration fee reflects such.
Practices will be held on Monday’s and Wednesday’s from 6:00-7:00pm (6-6:30 for the one-mile run). Every two weeks we’ll start 15 minutes earlier as we adjust to reduced daylight. We’ll have a number of adult volunteer running coaches at every practice. The first 10 minutes of practice will consist of stretching/drills/warmup. They’ll be 2 available runs at every practice (3-4 miles/1 mile). Cool down/stretching at the end of every run. “Pop-up” trail runs will be announced throughout the season (in addition to regular practices). Families are encouraged to join the pop-up runs.
The CYONY club will continue its tradition of trail running outdoors, all year. Temperatures must be above 35 and without precipitation. No jackets…wick layers only.
Virtual (ZOOM) Winter workouts:
They’re back! We’ll be looking for volunteers to host zoom workouts 1x a week through winter! These workouts will compliment our outdoor running schedule.
Is experience needed?
For the long runs, yes. However, we include a “guided one-mile” run at every practice for young/new/endurance building runners.
“Cross-Country a Low Risk Sport”
As you may know, cross-country is categorized as a low-risk sport/activity and the governor of New York has allowed for youth sports practices/competitions to resume this fall. Though this seasons “structure” will be vastly different from the past, the essence of the CYONY club will remain the same. We’ve worked tirelessly to prepare and roll out a safe, fun and competitive cross-country season.
The CYONY Club has been running SAFELY since early June with MAXIMUM PARTICIPATION. Hence, these guidelines were produced/created using guidance from the CDC, State of New York and live experience/observation.
- Self-monitoring & Pre-screening: All participants, coaches, parents, spectators and volunteers will be required to self-monitor for COVID symptoms , including temperature reading and self-report through a pre-screening questionnaire. All participants will need to complete a pre-screening questionnaire before attending any practice or competition. Anyone with a temperature over 100 will be asked to refrain from attending practices/meets for a period of 2 WEEKS and can only return with a doctor’s note clearing them to resume. No person or child will be allowed to participate without submitting the pre-screening questionnaire.
- All team members, coaches, volunteers, and spectators are required to wear a mask while attending team practices or meets. While running, face coverings MUST be available (around neck or chin) and will be mandatory when unable to safely (6 feet) pass walkers, bikers, or fellow runners.
- You cannot participate (spectators too) without a mask. The “shirt over the nose” method will not be allowed, nor will “holding” a covering over the face/nose.
- All team members are required to maintain a 6’ safe perimeter at all times. They’ll be a “self measuring” demonstration before the first two practices.
- NO PACK RUNNING. Not this season. Everyone MUST be spread out. Hence, you’ll be required to stay with your “timing group” of 3 runners at all times.
- All trail widths have been measured. Practices will be held on trails with MINIMUM of 12’ width.
- No handshakes, fist/elbow bumps, hand slaps, hugs, or contact of any kind.
- No spitting, nose clearing, or wringing out sweat gear .
- Water bottles/containers cannot be passed shared (even unopen/ or using separate cups). Same for hand sanitizer.
- Group practices will be capped at 25 total participants (not including coaches and volunteers).
- Only 1 spectator per family (unless volunteering/coaching) at team practices. Spectators are required to follow all team COVID guidelines.
- No team snacks (bagged, baked or bought).
- No sharing of sweatshirts, jackets etc. Keep an extra in your track bag.
- Sanitize/wash hands before and after practice/meets.
- “Emergency masks” will be provided ONLY if a child/persons mask breaks while at practice. We will NOT provide masks for those left at home, forgotten or misplaced and access/participation will be denied.
- No family pets at practice.
- All team members (and at least one guardian) is required to attend a 5-10 minute zoom session with Coach Stefan to review these guidelines, prior to the start of the season.
Following these guidelines will ensure a safe, fun, and competitive cross country season. Let’s keep normal going.
We spent the summer measuring the width of local trails. We measured 12 local trails and found that only 3 LOCAL locations were adequate (Twin Lakes, Webster Avenue and the Bronx River Trail). The trail that runs along the Hutchinson River Parkway (by Iona Prep) will NOT be used this fall/winter. It’s a single track path/trail with > 6 feet width. Sidewalk/street group running is also off the table for fall/winter as there’s NO WAY to appropriately social distance while pack running on a street, and sidewalks are too narrow. We’ll use the following locations with APPROPRIATE trail widths:
- Old Croton Aqueduct/Lyndhurst Mansion (Irvington)
- Bronx River Parkway trail (Hartsdale)
- Webster Avenue Trail (New Rochelle between Webster/Twin lakes)
- Twin Lakes (Eastchester)
- Rockwood Hall (Sleepy Hollow)
- Rockefeller State Park Preserve (Pleasantville)
- Kensico Dam (Valhalla)
The CYONY Track Club is entirely volunteer based! Service hours are available for high school runners. The only requirement? The ability to run 4 miles without stopping. Email coach Stefan for details.
We’re excited to begin the cross-country season! The goal this season? Keep the kids active, safe, and having fun! We’ll all have to be flexible to make this work. We know the kids (and families) are facing a mountain of uncertainty this coming fall. There’s one thing that’s certain…we’ll be running.
CRANK UP YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC, LACE UP THE SNEAKERS, BELIEVE IN YOU and LET’S GO!!! Trails are calling…fall is here.
ALL IN FOR THE KIDS,
In Grades: 3 to 8 for 2020-21 School year
NOTE: This program is currently only accepting waitlisted registrations. Register for the current waitlist by clicking the Join Waitlist button below.